Treasury Yields Fall After Successful Bond Auction
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Interest rates dipped in the market for previously issued Treasurys Tuesday after a successful auction of $42 billion of five-year notes.
The yield on the 10-year Treasury note, which is used as a benchmark for interest rates on mortgages and other consumer loans, slipped to 3.80 percent from 3.85 percent Monday. Its price rose 12/32 to 96 17/32 in late trading.
Meanwhile, the yield on previously issued five-year notes fell to 2.57 percent from 2.60 percent. Its price rose 5/32 to 97 31/32.In the auction, the second big debt sale by the government this week, the measure of demand known as the bid-to-cover ratio was 2.59. That was slightly less than at a similar auction last month, but in line with the recent average, said Matt Freund, vice president of fixed income investments at USAA Investment Management Co. Demand was good for such a slow week of trading, he said. Many investors are taking vacation this week between Christmas and New Year's Day. Auctions have continued to go smoothly this year despite worries that the massive amounts of supply would overwhelm demand. "I think it's just the market breathing a big sigh of relief," Freund said. "If it did not go well, it would have been a much bigger story."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV