Two Housing Index ETFs Shut Down
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- As investors digest Tuesday's data from the Case-Shiller housing indexes, they will have one less tool to work with.
On Monday, MacroShares shuttered two ETFs that allowed investors to make bullish and bearish bets on the Case-Shiller Composite-10 Home Price Index.
The Major Metro Housing Up (UMM) ETF and Major Metro Housing Down (DMM) ETF, is the third paired ETF group from MacroShares to close down. MacroShares has also shelved two sets of oil funds since 2008, as structural problems and oil volatility sunk the pairs.
While investors pay particular attention to the release of housing data, UMM and DMM failed to capture its intended audience. These two funds recently reached an early termination trigger when their assets on deposit fell under $50 million.According to the latest Case-Shiller report, U.S. home prices fell at a slower annual rate in October. While housing declines in major metropolitan areas do not appear to be getting worse, the data show that the indexes are flat when compared with the previous month. The goal of MacroShares' funds was to allow investors to bet on the direction of the Case-Shiller indexes and the prospects for major metropolitan housing. The paired funds were unable to attract enough investor assets to continue their investment strategy. The fate of the MacroShares funds should be of particular concern to ETF investors, who face an increasingly broad range of choices when selecting strategies. The failure of the paired-fund approach continues to raise concerns about the future of non-traditional ETF strategies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV