(Ivanhoe Energy story updated for market closing price and volume)
VANCOUVER (TheStreet) -- Shares of Vancouver-based oil producer Ivanhoe Energy (IVAN) spiked to more than seven times its average daily volume on Tuesday as Ivanhoe climbed above its 50-day and 200-day moving average prices.
Ivanhoe shares soared on the Tuesday market open to a near-52-week high of $2.99, and near the end of the trading session on Tuesday had hit a new 52-week high of $3.12. Ivanhoe shares ended Tuesday at $3.03, on volume of more than 7 million shares traded, versus an average daily volume of 640,000.
The gains in Ivanhoe Energy shares represented 13%, or 35 cents.Ivanhoe Energy's previous 52-week high of $2.99 was attained on Oct. 12. Ivanhoe Energy has not experienced this level of trading since the two-day period of Oct. 9 and Oct. 12, when the oil producer achieved its previous 52-week high. On Oct. 9 and Oct. 12, 11 million and five million shares of Ivanhoe Energy were traded, respectively. Trading in Ivanhoe Energy shares has only been above the 2 million share level -- for a full-day -- once since the October high.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV