(Homebuilder story updated for closing prices)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The broad market may have been up on the latest year-over-year improvement in the Case-Shiller home price index data, but the homebuilder sector suffered a mid day on Tuesday after the Case-Shiller numbers showed little to no gain month over month.
While both the S&P 500 and Dow Jones Industrial Average were down slightly by the end of trading on Tuesday, the homebuilder sector suffered to a greater extent, as fears of a double dip in home prices pushed down many of the big-name builders. However, there were some bright spots in the sector, even as the Case-Shiller numbers provided some fuel to the double-dip theoretical fire.
Housing-market experts have feared a double dip in home prices might be coming after considerable gains made by the Case-Shiller indexes in 2009. October was the ninth-consecutive month of year-over-year gains, while only 7 of the 20 major metro markets showed improvement month over month through October.Fears of the double dip in home prices have made a 2010 recovery for homebuilders -- including D.R. Horton (DHI), Toll Brothers (TOL) and KB Home (KBH) -- far from a certainty. On Tuesday, the biggest drop in the homebuilding sector took place early in the trading day after the Case-Shiller numbers were released. However, by the close of the market on Tuesday, the declines in homebuilder shares were much smaller than a morning sell-off might have indicated. M/I Homes (MHO), was down more than 1.8%, though at mid-day M/I shares had been down more than 3%. The Ryland Group (RYL) was down close to 0.5%, recovering from a morning drop of more than 2.5% in the morning.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV