Smead Value Fund Snaps Up eBay
Welcome to TheStreet's Fund Manager Five Spot, where America's top mutual fund managers give their best stock picks in five fast and furious questions.
Are you a bull or bear?Smead: We are bulls. The point of maximum pessimism was in early March and was probably a 30-year extreme in pessimism. It will take years to work off the negative sentiment toward stocks. Also, it has been eight years since large-cap, recession-resistant quality stocks were in favor on either a relative or absolute basis. As U.S. households increase their saving and commit some of the massive amounts of cash in low-interest liquid accounts to the stock market, brand-name companies could get a large part of the affection. What is your top stock pick? Smead: eBay is our top stock pick and the No. 1 position in the Smead Value Fund. We are "bottom up" stock pickers and this one has something for everybody. First, eBay is a sum-of-the-parts story. They own PayPal, Bill Me Later, StubHub, 28% of Craigslist, 30% of Skype, five of the six largest online classified advertising firms in the world and the greatest online auction business in the world. They're also sitting on $5 billion-plus in cash, with no debt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV