Agricultural manufacturer Monsanto (MON) is slated to announce its first-quarter 2010 earnings on Jan. 6, making it one of the first large-cap stocks to set the tone for next year's fundamentals.
The company, which produces seeds, biotech trait products, and herbicides for farmers internationally, has had a mediocre couple of quarters as its share price languished in spite of a developing rally among agricultural stocks. But that's set to change going into 2010, as investors begin to realize that Monsanto's value potential warrants buying this year.
Next week's earnings release could prove to be just the catalyst to make that happen. And this week's lower volume could translate into a pre-earnings pop that's much to the benefit of those who are already long shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV