Treasurys Come Off Lows Following Auction
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Interest rates rose Monday, but were down from their highest levels following a decent auction of two-year notes.
The yield on the 10-year Treasury note, which is used as a benchmark for interest rates on mortgages and other consumer loans, rose to 3.85 percent from 3.80 percent Thursday. The bond market was closed Friday for Christmas.
In late trading, the price of the 10-year note fell 11/32 to 96 4/32. Meanwhile, the yield on previously issued two-year note rose to 1.05 percent from 0.97 percent Thursday, while its price fell 5/32 to 99 14/32.Trading was light as many investors were on vacation. The bond markets were closed for Christmas and will shut again on Friday for New Year's Day. With fewer traders in the market, the Treasury Department was forced to raise its yield on the offering of two-year notes to entice buyers. The government sold $44 billion of the notes at a 1.089 percent yield. The bid-to-cover ratio, a measure of demand was 2.91, slightly below a recent average of about 3.00. But the number of direct bidders, or investors who buy directly from the Treasury and not through a broker-dealer, was high. This was an encouraging sign, said Ian Lyngen, senior government bond strategist at CRT Capital Group.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV