UAE Signs $20 Billion Nuclear Deal With S. Korea
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) ¿ The United Arab Emirates on Sunday awarded a South Korean consortium a prized $20 billion deal to build nuclear reactors as the oil-rich Persian Gulf nation races to meet its booming energy needs.
Korea Electric Power Corp.'s winning bid beat out rival offers from more seasoned atomic power producers in France, Japan and the United States. The deal marks the first time South Korea will export a nuclear power plant.
Emirates Nuclear Energy Corp. valued the deal for four 1,400-megawatt reactors at about $20 billion ¿ considerably less than some earlier estimates suggested."We look forward to a long and productive relationship as we work toward powering the future growth of the UAE with low-carbon, peaceful nuclear energy," ENEC Chief Executive Mohamed al-Hammadi said. The Korean consortium includes Samsung, Hyundai and Doosan Heavy Industries. Japan's Toshiba Corp. and its Westinghouse subsidiary will also play a role. The UAE is one of the world's largest oil exporters but must import natural gas to run many of its existing power plants. It says its energy needs are expected to almost double by 2020. The Emirates has said it plans to begin construction on its nuclear plants in 2012. ENEC said the first reactor should begin providing electricity in 2017, with the remaining units coming online by 2020.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV