Where Do Your Finances Stand? Find Out
Even though financial advisors urge workers to save the equivalent of six months' salary in an emergency fund, Monster.com found that more than one-third of the U.S. workers (34%) it surveyed admitted that they have only one week or less of savings to cover living expenses if they were to be laid off or incapacitated. Sixteen% said they had four to eight weeks of savings and 14% said they were prepared for 3-5 months. Only 20% said they would meet the six-month goal.
Americans between the ages of 55-45 have, on average, a savings of $22,500 I 401(k)s, IRAs and other retirement plans. Ages 46-54 average $44,000 in these plans and those in the 46-54 demographic have savings of $69,000, according to the Employee Benefit Research Institute.Debt The Federal Reserve pegs total household debt at about $13.7 trillion and total outstanding consumer debt at $2.55 trillion. Home mortgage debt comes in at $10.4 trillion The average debt load for American households, excluding mortgages, is nearly $17,000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV