Pfizer Spent $5.4M Lobbying Government In 3Q
WASHINGTON (AP) ¿ Pfizer Inc., the world's biggest drugmaker, spent $5.4 million lobbying the government in the third quarter on topics including the health care overhaul, government spending on medication, and patent and trade issues, according to a quarterly disclosure report.
The maker of cholesterol fighter Lipitor, impotence pill Viagra and nerve pain treatment Lyrica spent 75 percent more on lobbying than its $3.1 million outlay in the year-ago period.
New York-based Pfizer lobbied on legislation on numerous issues involving the federal health care overhaul. Those included health insurance, prices paid for drugs bought through government programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, information technology, allowing generic versions of expensive biologic drugs, and requiring research comparing the effectiveness of medications and other types of treatment.
Much of its lobbying focused on bills that could lead to greater use of medicines the company makes, including the reauthorization of the State Children's Health Insurance Program, and on veterans' health care issues.The maker of smoking-cessation drug Chantix also lobbied on coverage for programs to help people quit smoking. Pfizer, which makes antibiotics such as Zithromax, lobbied on two bills related to the growing problem of germs becoming resistant to antibiotics. The maker of cancer drug Sutent also lobbied on a House bill concerning parity for coverage of cancer drugs,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV