NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Investors continued to bid up shares of Brazil's largest airliner Wednesday.
American depositary receipts of TAM (TAM) gained 8.1% to $21.80, their highest point in six months.
The stock-price gains occurred as the market digested a series of positive news on the company. TAM recently acquired a small regional Brazilian airline as it strives to widen its footprint at home.
And just a week before, TAM said that it planned to sell shares of its Multiplus frequent-flyer unit to the public in an IPO on the Sao Paulo Stock Exchange. Like its smaller rival, GOL Linhas, TAM wants to increase its mileage programs to take advantage of the Brazilian economic recovery.GOL Linhas' (GOL) New York-listed issues also gained ground Wednesday, adding 4.8% to $15.20. U.S. airline stocks were weaker by comparison Wednesday, weighed down by rising crude oil prices. AMR AMR (AMR) is down by 0.3% to $8.10 and AirTran (AAI) has fallen by 1.3% to $5.30. Continental (CAL) dipped 0.9% to $18.40. -- Reported by Andrea Tse in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV