During the period, the sneaker retailer earned $6.6 million, or 12 cents a share, compared with a loss of $8.8 million, or 16 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter.
Results were boosted by a one-time tax gain of $6.5 million related to the termination of its plans to buy Genesco (GCO). Excluding this and other items, Finish Line broke event, beating the consensus analyst forecast of a 9-cent loss.
Revenue fell by less than 1% to $240.1 million from $240.6 million a year ago, while same-store sales increased 1.7%.In morning trading Wednesday, shares of Finish Line surged nearly 8% to $10.77 on heavy volume. Last week, Nike (NKE) reported a 1% drop in its second-quarter profit but said future orders -- for merchandise to be delivered through early spring -- were up 4%. -Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV