BOSTON (TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks rallied yesterday on news that existing home sales rose to the highest level since November 2007. Indices pared gains in the afternoon, but a handful of stocks continued to rise. Here are three that hit 52-week highs.
3. Mettler-Toledo (MTD) rose 2.2% to $106.02. Shares of the medical instrument and lab software company have risen 6.7% during the past month.
The numbers: Third-quarter net income fell 21% to $42 million, or $1.21 a share, as revenue dropped 14% to $436 million. Mettler-Toledo's gross margin widened from 50% to 53%, and its operating margin expanded from 14% to 16%. The company has an adequate liquidity position, evident in its quick ratio of 0.9. Its 0.5 debt-to-equity ratio demonstrates conservative leverage.
The stock: We rate Mettler-Toledo "buy." The stock has returned 57% this year, more than major U.S. indices. The shares are cheap relative to peers, based on earnings, projected earnings, sales and cash flow. However, they're expensive based on book value. Mettler-Toledo's quarterly return on equity was 26%, beating averages for the industry and the S&P 500 Index.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV