NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Imagine, if you will, an annual investment industry event along the lines of the National Basketball Association All-Star weekend extravaganza, and amidst the hoopla, the trotting out of the All-Time Greatest Investment Team, or maybe a lineup akin to the NBA's 50 greatest-of-all- time.
But instead of ESPN's Sports Guy Bill Simmons to chime-in on the controversial choices, we could have Warren Buffett chime-in on the choices with the pithy tone he sets in his annual shareholder letter. No, wait, we can't have Buffett chime in, because he's going to be front-and-center, center court, when it comes time to introduce the investment world Greatest-of-All-Time.
Whether it's the top five or top 50 investors of all-time, a new QFINANCE survey says that coming through the tunnel from the locker room at No. 1 all-time investor -- and presumably a point guard, given his stature -- would be Warren Buffett, captain of the Omaha squad Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B).
Indeed, more than 50% of financial industry and business respondents -- asked in a new poll for the greatest investors of all time -- placed Buffett among their top-five choices, making the Oracle of Omaha far and away the leading vote-getter.Adam Smith, with his world-famous invisible hand likely swatting away anyone driving to the hoop like a former-day Scottish version of Manute Bol, also made the top five, in second place with 37% of respondents placing him and his invisible hand on their short list. New Deal wizard John Maynard Keynes -- who did some Prime Time priming of the pumps of the U.S. market during the Great Depression -- was in third-place at 36%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV