1. Universal Insurance Holdings (UVE) is a Florida-focused home insurer.
Writing policies in the Sunshine State is a risky endeavor, with hurricane season presenting unique geographic risks. Still, the company has proven its underwriting aptitude, helped by its small stature and regional expertise. Of the 145 insurance stocks evaluated by TheStreet.com's quantitative equity model, only 45 are rated "buy." Universal Insurance Holdings sits near the top of the list, but that doesn't mean it's risk-free.
Third-quarter net income soared 56% to $12 million, and earnings per share jumped 47% to 28 cents. Revenue grew 16% to $55 million. The company's net margin widened from 16% to 21%. Its balance sheet appears well-managed, with $275 million of cash and $45 million in debt. But our insurance model, which takes a more holistic view of the business, gives the company a financial-strength grade of E-plus, implying the quality of assets is low and potential risk is great.
Still, management raised the year-end dividend to 20 cents, giving the stock an eye-catching 14% yield, assuming dividend retention. Its payout ratio is excessive at 120%. Universal Insurance sells at a price-to-earnings ratio of 5.9 and a price-to-cash flow ratio of 3.8. But the shares are expensive relative to insurance peers when considering book value, a metric often used to determine the cost of insurance stocks. A beta of 3.8 and volatility score of 3.5 reflect extreme price swings. Income-oriented investors who can stomach volatility should take a closer look.-- Reported by Jake Lynch in Boston, and L.A. Little in Colorado, who provided the charts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV