2. International Shipholding (ISH) provides marine transport services to commercial and government customers.
Dry-bulk shippers, such as Navios Maritime (NMM) and DryShips (DRYS), are comparable investments with worse merits. International Shipholding is TheStreet.com's top-ranked marine company due to its recent stock performance and record of consistent earnings growth. Over the past three years, International Shipholding has more than doubled profit annually, on average. The shares have fallen 22% over the past month, presenting contrarians with a buying opportunity.
Third-quarter net income stalled at $11 million, but earnings per share climbed marginally to $1.55. The company's net margin narrowed from 13% to 12% as growth in voyage expenses exceeded a 9% sales increase. Such deterioration is worrisome. Still, similarly sized marine rival Danaos (DAC) recorded a 41% profit drop, and Safe Bulkers (SB) notched a 43% decrease. All things considered, International Shipholding is faring well. Its 0.7 debt-to-equity ratio is less than the industry average, indicating conservative leverage.
At its current share price, the stock yields 7%, with a payout ratio of 40%. The stock is cheaper than that of the average marine company, based on all of our valuation measures. The shares trade below book value per share, even though the quarterly return on equity tagged 16%, beating the industry average and the S&P 500 Index. The PEG ratio, at 0.2, compares favorably to the marine industry average of 4.1. Shipping stocks are cyclically sensitive, but International Shipholding has a beta of 0.4, noticeably lower than those of competitors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV