Jarden Corporation's hefty portfolio of consumer products consist of well-recognizable brands, including Coleman, Mr. Coffee, Crock-Pot and Crawford.
In an interview with TheStreet, Jarden's CEO Martin Franklin said the company has been vetting companies to buy in the last eight years and is confident of Mapa Spontex's suitability for Jarden. Franklin said Mapa Spontex's strong niche brand value, its management teams and its cash-flow history were all attractive attributes for Jarden.
But of equal, if not, greater importance is that Mapa Spontex fits into Jarden's long-term growth strategy, said Franklin. From an international platform perspective, Franklin said it would give Jarden greater exposure to the Brazil and Argentina markets. Franklin also said that, from a distribution standpoint, Mapa Spontex will allow Jarden to take advantage of revenue opportunities in the chief five countries of Europe."Mapa Spontex is a very Jardenesque company," Franklin said. "It fits into the mold of our business. It takes us into the baby space and the juvenile space, which we think is very attractive." Franklin says that the acquisition should become profitable immediately after the deal is completed, which should be in the second quarter of 2010. "Fifteen to twenty cents as a guidance is something we feel comfortable with," Franklin said, adding the there will be a one-time charge for the company after the closing of the deal next year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV