CINCINNATI ( TheStreet) -- Just about everything you need to know about holiday business can be learned by watching Miracle on 34th Street.
The 1947 film, about a white-bearded man who believes himself to be Santa Claus and a little New York outfit called Macy's (M) that hires him to be just that and then forces him to defend his assertion in court mere days before Christmas, hides a bagful of lessons behind its grainy footage and questionable plot devices.
For Macy's, whose online sales jumped 16.5% in November even as same-store sales declined 6.1% for the month and 3.6% for last quarter, they're lessons that hit especially close to home.
As Macy's continues its "Believe" campaign in a retail environment that's changed quite a bit in 62 years, here are some business bastions from Miracle on 34th Street worth believing in. (The store declined to comment for this article.)1. Customer service: When Kris Kringle sent customers to other stores for items Macy's didn't have, it resulted in huge returns on 34th Street, but seemed a bit of a stretch anywhere beyond the silver screen. However, Amazon (AMZN) was ranked No. 1 by J.D. Power and Associates for customer service this year partially for doing just that. If you go searching for a shearling boot that's only available at L.L. Bean or skull rain boots that are only for sale at The Gap, Amazon will not only tell you how much the item costs, but will provide a link to that item on the other company's Web site. That is why the Luxury Marketing Council noted earlier this year that many high-end retailers like Coach (COH) and Burberry have cut back on advertising this season and poured their resources into customer service.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV