(Carnival earnings article updated for market reaction and analyst comment)
Indeed, the Carnival Corporation beat a fourth-quarter Street estimate in its fourth-quarter earnings announced this morning -- but, at the same time, the cruise ship operator guided lower for the first quarter 2010.
What's more, even in beating the Street estimate for the fourth quarter 2009, the earnings per share was well below the 2008 fourth quarter level.The two faces of the Carnival earnings give a fair approximation of the sailing conditions headed into 2010: a headwind to begin, but a financial tailwind expected by the second half of the coming year. The mixed sailing conditions also led the markets to a negative reaction: Carnival shares were down a little more than 3% and had already surpassed average daily volume at mid-day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV