(Carnival earnings article updated for market reaction and analyst comment)
Indeed, the Carnival Corporation beat a fourth-quarter Street estimate in its fourth-quarter earnings announced this morning -- but, at the same time, the cruise ship operator guided lower for the first quarter 2010.
What's more, even in beating the Street estimate for the fourth quarter 2009, the earnings per share was well below the 2008 fourth quarter level.The two faces of the Carnival earnings give a fair approximation of the sailing conditions headed into 2010: a headwind to begin, but a financial tailwind expected by the second half of the coming year. The mixed sailing conditions also led the markets to a negative reaction: Carnival shares were down a little more than 3% and had already surpassed average daily volume at mid-day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV