7. Steve Jobs is the visionary of the century.
This one man is the single greatest asset in corporate America, which causes Apple stock to trade with a Steve Jobs premium, a variable that the shorts can use as well. Apple's stock is always vulnerable to losing Jobs.
If Steve Ballmer were to leave Microsoft (MSFT), nobody would care; that doesn't help the shorts. Jobs is different. A hedge fund could float a factual article that gives statistics on liver transplant patients, and it might move the stock.
These seven reasons make Apple an ideal short play for sophisticated traders who want to make money coming and going. The chaos of it all can cause individual investors to become frustrated with the volatility.Apple shares closed up $3.57, or 1.9%, to $195.43 on Friday. Written by Jason Schwarz in Westlake Village, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV