Case in point: Last year Woods was sitting on the sidelines of the game for most of the year, recovering from a knee surgery; and in that time, the PGA had a record year on "a lot of fronts," the commissioner, Tim Finchem said.
Among those fronts: the PGA had raised $125 million for charity and performed "quite well" even without Woods playing in the PGA's top tournaments. During the interview even he pointed to new star players the PGA Tour was able to bring in last year, including Anthony Kim and Camillo Villegas.
"As a matter of fact, the top six performing tournaments on the PGA Tour in terms of net revenue for charity, which is an indication of their financial strength -- Tiger hasn't played in any of those six in the last five years ... we can move forward without him," Finchem said.Finchem said that he was going to announce some additional corporate sponsorships in a press conference today. "Let me just make this point," Finchem told CNBC. "If you look at the cumulative audience that Nielsen measures in 2007, 2008 and 2009, it was 26 million per event of people tuning in in 2007; the same number in 2008 when Tiger was out half a year, and up some in 2009, where our ratings were up."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV