BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- When Westinghouse Electric unveiled a seven-foot-tall aluminum robot named Elektro at the 1939 World's Fair, Americans fell in love with the notion of anthropomorphic machines doing work for them.
Robots, now commonly seen roaming factories and vacuuming floors, create less of a stir 70 years later. In terms of whiz-bang entrepreneurship, investors will probably remember 2009 as the year of solar cells, smart grids and smarter drugs.
Robots remain as cool as ever, and the past year offered plenty of robotic innovation in a variety of fields, including, most importantly, the field of fun. Here are five robotic innovations that are sure to change the world, or at least the living room.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV