BOSTON (TheStreet) -- When Westinghouse Electric unveiled a seven-foot-tall aluminum robot named Elektro at the 1939 World's Fair, Americans fell in love with the notion of anthropomorphic machines doing work for them.
Robots, now commonly seen roaming factories and vacuuming floors, create less of a stir 70 years later. In terms of whiz-bang entrepreneurship, investors will probably remember 2009 as the year of solar cells, smart grids and smarter drugs.
Robots remain as cool as ever, and the past year offered plenty of robotic innovation in a variety of fields, including, most importantly, the field of fun. Here are five robotic innovations that are sure to change the world, or at least the living room.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV