NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The Dow finished with a triple-digit loss Thursday as a stronger dollar pressured equities and commodities in the afternoon.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 133 points, or 1.3%, to 10,308. The S&P 500 slid 13 points, or 1.2%, to 1096 and the Nasdaq was off by 27 points, or 1.2%, at 2180.
Though tech stocks struggled Thursday, a cadre of sector players reported earnings after hours that will set the stage for Friday's session. Leading the charge is Research in Motion (RIMM), as shares jumped more than 12% in extended-hours trading. The BlackBerry maker fended off increasing smartphone competition from the likes of Apple (AAPL) and Motorola (MOT) during the third-quarter, blowing past estimates with a 41% boost to its top-line and a profit of $1.10 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV