Herman Miller Says 2Q Profit Fell 70.6 Percent
ZEELAND, Mich. (AP) ¿ Office furniture maker Herman Miller Inc. said on Wednesday that its second-quarter profit fell 70.6 percent as its revenue dropped.
The company said it earned $9.6 million, or 17 cents per share, during the quarter that ended Nov. 28. That was down from a profit of $32.6 million, or 60 cents per share, during the period a year earlier.
Not counting restructuring charges, the company would have earned 20 cents per share. That matched the expectation of analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters.
The company's revenue fell 27.9 percent to $343.7 million, from $476.6 million a year earlier. Analysts were expecting revenue of $334.5 million.The company said orders improved compared with the first quarter. "While orders remain below prior-year levels, we were encouraged to see demand follow a more normalized trend this quarter," said CEO Brian Walker. Herman Miller shares fell a penny to close at $16.78 before the results were released.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV