Hewlett-Packard Leads High-Flying Stocks
BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The Federal Reserve's plan to keep interest rates low stoked inflation fears, resulting in mixed results for stocks. Here are three stocks that hit 52-week highs.
3. Black & Decker (BDK) jumped 3.8% to $65.30. The maker of appliances and power tools has advanced 29% during the past three months. Stanley Works (SWK) plans to merge with Black & Decker in early November in an all-stock transaction.
Snapshot: Black & Decker's third-quarter profit fell 35% to $55 million, or 91 cents a share, as revenue dropped 23% to $1.2 billion. Black & Decker's gross margin expanded from 35% to 36%, but its operating margin narrowed from 9% to 8%. The company held $822 million of cash and $1.7 billion of debt at the end of the third-quarter. Its return on equity, a measure of profitability, consistently beats the industry average.
Our take: Our quantitative model rates Black & Decker "hold." Black & Decker has suffered from falling sales and profits during the past year. In light of the merger announcement, the shares have climbed 38% to $65.30 as investors bid them up to reflect deal value.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV