And what are the lessons for businesses in this sorry situation? There are at least three. First, reputation may be intangible, but it has a direct impact on the value of a business. Cutting ethical corners may have short-term financial benefits, but it can also do lasting harm to your business' bottom line. Consumers always prefer to do business with companies they trust. They'll walk away from businesses that seem too shady.
Second, no one is perfect, and even the best and brightest of us come up short from time to time. When mistakes happen, as they inevitably do, a sincere and timely public apology is called for. Delays and denials serve no positive purpose; they just give problems a chance to grow into disasters.
Third, the excellence of a business' products and services is what will best carry that business through harm to its reputation. A company with mediocre offerings may not outlive a public relations nightmare. When it comes to reputational injuries, the superstars are most likely to survive.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV