Embattled golfer Tiger Woods officially lost his first sponsor this week in the wake of allegations he had indulged in numerous extramarital affairs. As the accusations mounted, Woods announced last Friday that he would take an indefinite hiatus from golf to focus on healing his family.
Two days later, global consulting firm Accenture (ACN) announced it was ending its six-year relationship with Woods, stating that although "it wishes only the best for Tiger Woods and his family," the company had determined after "careful consideration and analysis" that Woods was "no longer the right representative for its advertising."
Other sponsors have been more discreet in distancing themselves from Woods. Gillette, a unit of
Procter & Gamble
(PG), issued a semi-sympathetic statement that "
Nike (NKE), on the other hand, has expressed its "full support" for Woods, optimistically looking forward to his return to golf. However, Nike hasn't continued to run advertising that features Woods. According to research firm Nielsen, Woods hasn't appeared in a prime-time television commercial since Nov. 29, when the story first broke. Nike may be supportive in principle, but it clearly isn't prepared to spend a lot of advertising dollars to prove it in practice.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV