Green technology will be big business in 2010, hitting everything from smartphones to servers to storage devices.
"I think what we will see emerging is the 'clean green' space," said Eric Openshaw, vice chairman and U.S. technology leader of Deloitte. "There's a lot of interest in green enterprise solutions from enterprises."
The New York Stock Exchange, for example, is in the throes of a massive data center consolidation, which aims to shave tens of millions of dollars a year off its operating expenses. Eco-friendly features in two of the Exchange's new data centers include automated light controls, carbon monitoring and the use of outside air for cooling.
All of tech's big names have been scrambling to assert their green credentials in recent years, as seen with IBM and its 'Smarter Planet' strategy and Samsung's 'Reclaim' phone, which is made from corn-based plastic.Green tech is clearly a high-growth area. "There's a lot of V.C. money going into the space for solutions that help you monitor and report your carbon footprint," explained Openshaw. Increasingly, companies will face regulatory pressure to watch their carbon output across their supply chain, he added. "If you're building a PDA, for example, it's interesting what happens in your factory, but it's even more interesting if you know what's happening with all the raw materials and how they are sourced," Openshaw told TheStreet. "Global companies that have an extended understanding of what their carbon footprint looks like will be at a huge advantage."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV