Dave's Daily: Light Volume at High Levels
Editor's Note: There is no Dave's Daily post for Tuesday, Dec. 15.
Dave Fry is founder and publisher of ETF Digest, Dave's Daily blog and the best-selling book author of "Create Your Own ETF Hedge Fund, A DIY Strategy for Private Wealth Management," published by Wiley Finance in 2008. Fry has devoted over 35 years to the business of trading and portfolio management. Check back each morning for the latest installment of Dave's Daily to get a unique ETF market overview.
December 14, 2009
STILL ULTRA LIGHT VOLUME AT ULTRA HIGH LEVELS
If you're a late to this seasonal bullish run, you better don the proper equipment at high altitudes. That said, bulls got more bullish news from a Dubai bailout and M&A activity involving XOM/XTO. Other than that it was more of the same--ultra-light volume and positive breadth.
Adding to what might be a bullish week is how options series are presented courtesy of our friend Scott Larison of Forefront Capital in NY.
"Large call imbalance points to an up-market this week:
As of close on 11 Dec 2009, the S&P500 front-month (18 Dec 2009) option contracts have a $103.5 billion delta (exercise probability) weighted open interest towards calls. This is the fourth largest call imbalance seen one week prior to triple witching option expiration since September 1997. Strikes with the largest Open Interest as of Friday's close 12/11: DEC 1050- Calls 209k, Puts 221k DEC 1100- Calls 181k Puts 166k"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV