Worst IPOs of 2009: Biggest Stock Flops
Vitacost.com (VITC), an online retailer that sells health and wellness products, priced 11 million shares of common stock at $12 each, in the middle of its expected range.
However, since it began trading on Sept. 24, the stock has tumbled 29% to close at $8.50 on Dec. 8.
In the past four years, Vitacost's sales have grown by an average of 48%, according to Morningstar, while its operating margin improved to 13% in the first quarter of 2008 compared with just 2% in the year prior.Still, investors worry about Vitascost's long-term prospects. "We think larger companies like Amazon (AMZN), Drugstore.com (DSCM) and GNC can use their scale advantages to offer lower prices in the long run," Morningstar wrote in a note.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV