Worst IPOs of 2009: Biggest Stock Flops
Another Chinese company, Chemspec International (CPC), ranks as the second-least successful deal by stock returns in 2009.
The country's largest producer of fluorinated specialty chemicals -- used in the manufacture of thin film transistor liquid crystal displays, and other electronics products -- Chemspec priced its IPO of 8 million American Depository Shares at $9 each. Each ADS represents 60 ordinary shares of the company.
Since it began trading on June 24, the stock has tumbled 33.8% and closed on Dec. 8 at $5.96."Growing competition, soft end markets, material accounting weakness and obnoxious related-party transactions are just a few of the reasons we'd cite in urging prospective investors to steer clear of this offering," Morningstar wrote in a note prior to the offering. In 2008 Chemspec reported sales of $138 million. While the company has some lofty goals -- such as doubling its total nameplate capacity -- many experts think management is being too ambitious.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV