Worst IPOs of 2009: Biggest Stock Flops
Indeed, all but two of the 10 worst IPOs of the year, as measured by stock returns, came to market in the second half of 2009. On the flip side, six of the 10 best IPOS began trading during the first half.
One could argue, in fact, that during the first half of the year, only the highest quality companies were coming to the market at attractive valuations. "These initial deals were done really well," says Eric Guja, research analyst at Renaissance Capital.
But in the second half of the year, specifically October and November, larger companies coming out of the private equity space became more focused on growth, Guja noted. Currently some 59 companies have come to market in 2009; only 14 of those were completed in the first six months of the year. The fourth quarter alone is on track to beat the rest of the year combined.So which of the 2009 IPOs performed most poorly -- and what can we learn from these public stock flops? Read on....
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV