This ETF could come in handy, as banks will have to pay high preferred yields to survive in this difficult environment in order to raise capital. The underlying index that this ETF tracks is a market-capitalization weighted portfolio from Wachovia, now a subsidiary of Wells Fargo (WFC), that is subject to their own selection methodology. It does include some international exposure.
The ETF has paid a monthly dividend since inception in 2006, ranging from 10-12 cents of late. Based on the most recent payout of 11.404 cents, the fund yields 11.6%. That's about 4 times the average yield of the benchmark S&P 500. I am including this ETF because I don't want to single out any particular bank preferred for fear that the bank might stumble, but taken collectively the yield here is simply too juicy to ignore, now that it seems very unlikely that the government would nationalize the banks.
5. Kinder Morgan Energy Partners (KMP)(KMP): This company is what's called a master limited partnership, an MLP, and MLPs like this one are often referred to as energy trusts. These MLPs pay no corporate taxes, and pass almost all of their earnings on to shareholders in the form of a distribution, which is very similar to a dividend. KMP yields about 10%, although with this kind of company the yield tends to be volatile as the distribution changes every quarter depending on how much money the company makes. The company is a pipeline operator with 26,000 miles of lines and about 170 terminals. As opposed to other companies that bring oil and natural gas out of the ground or refine it into other products, Kinder is more like a toll collector that earns money by storing and transmitting the commodities from one place to another. The tolls never stop coming as the customers rely on KMP's pipes for almost a ton of their natural gas use.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV