Court Rejects Ky. Speedway Lawsuit Against NASCAR
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) ¿ A federal appeals court on Friday rejected claims by the former owners of a Kentucky race track that NASCAR and International Speedway Corp. violated federal antitrust laws by keeping it off the premier racing circuit.
The decision by a three-judge panel from the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals ends, for now, the ownership group's legal efforts to force NASCAR to bring a Sprint Cup race to the track in Sparta, in northern Kentucky.
The panel said the group failed to prove NASCAR and International Speedway Corp., worked together with other tracks to keep the 1.5-mile tri-oval from getting a coveted Sprint Cup race.NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said NASCAR is pleased the court treated auto racing like other sports and acknowledged it's right to choose where and when to hold events. Poston said the 2010 racing schedule is set. Kentucky Speedway is not included in the Sprint Cup schedule but will host races for the NASCAR Nationwide and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races in 2010. "However, we are happy to discuss alternatives with the track owners for 2011 and beyond as they relate to NASCAR's realignment plans," Poston said. Jerry Carroll, a member of the joint ownership group that founded the track over a decade ago, seemed resigned to the ruling.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV