Duckwall-ALCO Posts 3Q Loss
ABILENE, Kan. (AP) ¿ Duckwall-ALCO Stores Inc., which runs retail stores that serve smaller communities, on Thursday posted a slightly smaller loss in the third quarter even as sales fell.
The company, based in Abilene, Kan., lost $1.4 million, or 38 cents per share, in the quarter that ended Nov. 1. That compares with a loss of $1.7 million, or 44 cents per share, a year earlier.
CEO Larry Zigerelli said the company had cut operating expenses to improve its results even as sales fell.
Revenue fell 3 percent in the quarter to $111.5 million from $114.9 million.Sales at stores open at least a year fell 1.7 percent during the quarter. These are a key measure of retailer performance because it is not skewed by new store openings and closings. Duckwall-ALCO shares rose 5 cents to $16.05 in late afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV