NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- On a day when most of the major solar stocks were taking a typical one-day-does-not-reflect-the-next momentum beating -- even yesterday's high-flying Hoku Scientific (HOKU) gave back more than 6% of the 20% it had gained yesterday -- the biggest news in the alternative energy space was the win by General Electric (GE) of a huge wind farm contract.
GE's wind turbine business won a $1.4 billion contract to supply turbines for an 845-megawatt wind farm in Oregon, to be developed by Caithness Energy to provide power for Southern California Edison.
The biggest solar news today was at the other end of the excitement spectrum: a much-anticipated initial public offering on the New York Stock Exchange by Chinese player Trony Solar was canceled.
Which leads to the question, is wind the better place to be than solar in 2010?The solar industry as a whole has had a healthy run-up in recent weeks, with pricing stabilization and improving projections for 2010 gross margin leading to renewed confidence in what had been a severely hampered industry. Still, the German feed-in tariff subsidy reductions are still an unknown -- and still most likely coming by year-end, according to analysts -- and that could cause some big pain to be felt by
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV