Cadbury Workers Resist Kraft Takeover
The Cadbury workers say that a takeover by Kraft (KFT) would saddle Cadbury with enormous debts, job losses and pay cuts required to meet its massive borrowing needs to finance the takeover.
"There is serious and growing worry, stretching from the shop floor to the wiser heads on the City trading floor, about what the Kraft offer and any ensuing bidding war could mean for Cadbury," said Len McCluskey, Unite assistant general secretary.
"Cadbury is a great UK success story -- and it was and is not for sale. But suddenly, a hostile bid and swarming speculators has thrown its future, its investment plans and the jobs of thousands of workers here and in Ireland up in the air."Cadbury union leaders are contacting shareholders to urge them to reject Kraft's bid. They will take their concerns to the British parliament on Dec. 16. Cadbury was expected to give its formal response to Kraft's $16.3 billion hostile takeover offer for the company on Dec. 14. Meanwhile, it has been revealed that Kraft might make changes to its hostile bid to soothe anti-trust concerns among EU regulators. Cadbury stock has risen 0.7% to $51.40 in afternoon trading and Kraft has slid 0.1% to $26.70. Nestle (NSRGY), which is rumored to be interested in buying Cadbury, alongside Hershey (HSY) and Italian chocolate maker Ferrero, has added 1.6% at $48.50. Hershey has risen 1.6% to $35.90. -- Reported by Andrea Tse in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV