(Updated for closing prices)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Shares of the U.S. health insurers got off to a quick start on Wednesday when news of the demise of the public option in the congressional healthcare overhaul and comments made by Aetna's (AET) CEO buoyed the sector.
However, those quick gains were muted by the end of Wednesday, as still new concerns about revenue spending requirements surfaced.
Thursday was a different story, though, as the gains in the sector from early in the trading day remained at the market close, with some HMOs, like Health Net (HNT), achieving 52-week high levels. Health Net closed up 4.5% on Thursday to $23.76, 3 cents below the 52-week high it reached earlier in the trading session.The biggest gainers overall on Thursday were UnitedHealth Group (UNH), which was up 6.4%; Cigna (CI), up 6.1%; WellCare Health Plans (WCG), up 5.5%; and Aetna, up 5.2%. Coventry Health Care (CVH) was up 4%; while Humana (HUM) was up 2.8%. WellPoint (WLP), the laggard of the group, was up 1.8% at mid-day. -- Reported by Eric Rosenbaum in New York. >>See our new stock quote page. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV