Sector Snap: Asset Managers Rise On Upbeat Reports
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) ¿ Shares of asset managers rose Thursday, led by T. Rowe Price Group Inc., as analysts predicted that investors will dive further into stocks, pushing fee income higher and improving profitability for companies in the industry.
Goldman Sachs analyst Marc Irizarry raised his rating on the sector to "Attractive" from "Neutral." On average, he expects shares of companies of asset managers that carry Goldman's "Buy" investment rating will rise 30 percent. The firm has "Buy" ratings on KKR Financial Holdings, Artio Global Investors Inc., The Blackstone Group, Franklin Resources, Och-Ziff Capital Management Group and BlackRock Inc.
Earnings estimates are likely to rise as the environment for the asset managers improves in 2010, Irizarry said. As investors return to equities and other riskier investments, asset managers will see fee income rise, which will improve operating margins, Irizarry wrote in a note to investors. He expects the group's average assets under management are expected to grow 13 percent next year.
Equity flows in 2010 are likely to favor international funds, passive strategies and managers with stronger performance track records, Irizarry said.Och-Ziff Capital shares climbed 24 cents, or 2 percent, to $12.50; KKR shares rose 1 cent to $5.41; Artio Global shares rose 35 cents to $23.88; and Blackrock Inc. gained $1 to $228. Positive comments on the sector also came Thursday from Jefferies & Co. analyst Daniel T. Fannon who upgraded T. Rowe Price to "Buy" from "Hold" and increased his price target on the shares to $60 from $54.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV