Panasonic Buys Sanyo for $4.6 Billion
The completion of the 50.2% stake in Sanyo has created one of the top providers of batteries for fuel efficient cars. Together, Panasonic and Sanyo's battery businesses generated ¥745.8 billion, or about $8.4 billion in sales last year.
Panasonic purchased its stake in Sanyo for £2.8 billion or $4.6 billion, offering 131 yen or about $1.50 for each common Sanyo share bought, generating a significant profit for its three primary shareholders: Goldman Sachs (GS), Daiwa Securitiesand Sumitomo Mitsui.
Panasonic first announced its interest in pursuing Sanyo 13 months ago, mostly enticed by Sanyo's hybrid car battery operations, say analysts, a strong suit for both companies.Currently Panasonic and Toyota (TM) are joint venture partners in making hybrid car batteries for Toyota's Prius model, while Sanyo makes hybrid car batteries for Honda (HMC), Ford (F) and Peugeot Citroen.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV