Panasonic Buys Sanyo for $4.6 Billion
The completion of the 50.2% stake in Sanyo has created one of the top providers of batteries for fuel efficient cars. Together, Panasonic and Sanyo's battery businesses generated ¥745.8 billion, or about $8.4 billion in sales last year.
Panasonic purchased its stake in Sanyo for £2.8 billion or $4.6 billion, offering 131 yen or about $1.50 for each common Sanyo share bought, generating a significant profit for its three primary shareholders: Goldman Sachs (GS), Daiwa Securitiesand Sumitomo Mitsui.
Panasonic first announced its interest in pursuing Sanyo 13 months ago, mostly enticed by Sanyo's hybrid car battery operations, say analysts, a strong suit for both companies.Currently Panasonic and Toyota (TM) are joint venture partners in making hybrid car batteries for Toyota's Prius model, while Sanyo makes hybrid car batteries for Honda (HMC), Ford (F) and Peugeot Citroen.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV