(CIT story updated with additional analyst commentary on CIT's emergence from bankruptcy.)
Shares of the lender are spiking 10% to $28.05, after opening at $25.50.
CIT pulled out of bankruptcy in just six weeks. The company was forced into bankruptcy on Nov. 1 after it failed to raise enough cash to repay its debt.Few financial companies have been able to emerge from bankruptcy, especially as quickly as CIT has. This is a big positive, says Randy Marshall, founding managing director at Protiviti, a global consulting and internal auditing firm. "Once you have a brand that goes into bankruptcy, history shows that's usually it," he says. "It is significant that CIT has even gotten to this stage, which makes me optimistic. Still, CIT faces some challenges. "It is a tough market to come back into, and their relationship with their customers will surely be a struggle," says Michael Gallo, partner at law firm DeCotiis, FitzPatrick, Cole & Wisler, and head of the Banking Law practice group.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV