NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Oversupply in the natural gas market has taken its toll on the commodity, but some investors are flocking to it -- and for good reason.
First, the regions of the U.S. that historically have used natural gas are expected to witness colder temperatures than normal this winter. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, winter temperatures from southern and eastern Texas to southern Pennsylvania and down to the tip of Florida are expected to be colder than normal, which would increase demand for natural gas.
Second, macroeconomic conditions are favorable for this resource. An unstable dollar, fears of inflation and low interest rates are making commodities attractive. Many investors have jumped into gold, but crude oil and natural gas also provide a hedge against inflation and a declining dollar.
Third, expected economic growth in the U.S. and abroad is expected to boost consumption in residential, commercial and industrial sectors. Additionally, the Energy Information Administration expects total marketed natural gas production to decline by 3.1% in 2010, reducing the excess supply that has flooded the market.Some equities that could benefit from these trends include: Chesapeake Energy (CHK), which closed at $22.44 Wednesday, up 66% from its March low of $13.50. Piedmont Natural Gas (PNY), which closed at $24.80 Wednesday, up 17% from its March low of $21.25.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV