Cubic Profit Up 54 Percent, Sales Beat Estimates
SAN DIEGO (AP) ¿ Cubic Corp., which makes fare-collection systems for public transportation and simulators for the military, reported a 54 percent jump in fiscal fourth-quarter profit but fell short of Wall Street expectations.
The San Diego-based company said Wednesday it earned $12.4 million, or 46 cents per share, in the quarter ended Sept. 30. A year earlier, it earned $8.1 million, or 30 cents per share.
Revenue rose to $280.8 million from $235.2 million a year ago. Sales in mission support services for the military were helped by the acquisition late last year of Omega Training Systems.
Analysts expected the company to earn higher profit of 52 cents per share, according to Thomson Reuters. But sales topped the average estimate of $251.2 million.For the full fiscal year, the company earned $55.7 million, or $2.08 per share, on sales of $1.02 billion, compared with earnings of $36.9 million, or $1.38 per share, on sales of $881.1 million a year earlier. Total backlog was $2.18 billion at Sept. 30, compared with $1.77 billion a year ago. Shares of Cubic fell 3 cents to close earlier at $38.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV