National Grid Strikes Deal With RI Wind Developer
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) ¿ National Grid struck a 20-year deal with wind developer Deepwater Wind that will help a small proposed wind project off the coast of Rhode Island move forward, Gov. Don Carcieri announced Wednesday.
The utility agreed to buy power from the wind farm, which is proposed as up to eight turbines built off the coast of Block Island, for 24.4 cents per kilowatt hour in the first full year of operation. The deal is important because it secures a buyer for power the project would generate.
"Investing in renewable energy reduces our exposure to the volatility of energy prices on the world market, and this agreement establishes confidence in the financial feasibility of the project," Carcieri said in a written statement.
Carcieri, a Republican, has set a goal of getting 15 percent of the state's energy from wind. He and other supporters of the project also say it will help fuel a renewable power industry and create jobs badly needed in Rhode Island, which has one of the worst unemployment rates in the nation.The deal must still be approved by the Rhode Island Public Utilities Commission. Deepwater Wind CEO William M. Moore called the deal a critical step in building what could be the nation's first offshore wind farm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV