Storm Closes Schools, Knocks Out Power Across NY
Eastern New York could expect the snow to turn to sleet, rain and possibly freezing rain later in the day, the weather service said.
Forecasters said much of upstate New York could get sustained winds of 40-plus mph with gusts approaching 60 mph Wednesday evening and into Thursday.
Frank Figliomeni, owner of Professor Java's Coffee Sanctuary in suburban Albany, said the sloppy weather had not slowed down sales.
"I think it's actually been a little busier than normal. This area's pretty hearty," Figliomeni said. "We get a lot of people who like this kind of weather, who thrive on it."Just north of New York City, overnight snow in Westchester County turned into a rainstorm by the Wednesday morning rush-hour. In Scarsdale, lighted Christmas stars swayed from light poles in the driving wind and rain. "I saw a little snow this morning on my car. But by the time I woke up, it was raining," said Tanya Yi, 19. "This is very hard rain, but I'm happy it's not snow." ___ Associated Press writers Jessica M. Pasko, Michael Hill and Rik Stevens in Albany, N.Y., and Jim Fitzgerald in Scarsdale, N.Y., contributed to this report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV