Storm Closes Schools, Knocks Out Power Across NY
Utilities National Grid, NYSEG, Rochester Gas & Electric, a subsidiary of Iberdrola USA, and Central Hudson Electric & Gas, a subsidiary of CH Energy Group Inc., reported a total of about 30,000 power outages Wednesday afternoon, down from around 55,000 earlier in the day. Most of the outages were concentrated in western and central counties.
Thousands of students from the Syracuse area to New York City's northern suburbs had a snow day or started classes two hours later than usual because of the snowy conditions.
Marc Timmons of Wilton in Saratoga County was shoveling his driveway after getting off work at a supermarket and didn't mind the chore at all.
"I love to play in the snow", said Timmons, a skier and Air Force veteran who spent years traveling around the world. He had advice for fellow New Yorkers who complain about the weather: "Man, move out of New York. The upstate region is not for you."In the Albany suburb of Guilderland, Robinson's Hardware was already doing brisk business Wednesday morning on shovels and melting salts. "It's nonstop," Will Healy said as he tended the register, snow blowing hard outside the window. "People wait to the last minute." Three or more feet of snow was expected to accumulate between Wednesday and Saturday in the mainly rural snow belts east of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Parts of eastern New York, including higher elevations in the Catskills and Adirondacks, were expected to get between 6 and 10 inches Wednesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV