(While bookstores are filled with financial books (including mine -- order an autographed copy online), there isn't a better or more important book that you can read this year than Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged," first published in the late 1950s.)
CHICAGO (TheStreet) -- It's hard to shop for investors. They tend to be picky and probably have everything they want.
How about a framed stock certificate? It's not a replica. The certificate is real and brings with it ownership in any of the hundreds of publicly traded companies from which you can choose. The company has provided stock certificates for more than 360,000 customers all over the world.
Owning a share of stock -- a real paper certificate that's framed and ready to hang on the wall -- is a fascinating gift. If you can't figure out which stock to buy -- and this is definitely not "investment advice" -- the company will suggest appropriate gifts for her (Starbucks (SBUX) or Martha Stewart (MSO)), for him (Harley-Davidson (HOG), Sam Adams (SAM)) and for teens (Nintendo (NTDOY), Gap (GPS)).Not only do you get to choose your stock, but you can also choose a frame and surrounding matting, as well as a phrase to engrave on a little brass plate. Plus, the recipient gets a "start-up kit" and owner's manual. The gift is definitely not a bargain. Not only do you pay for the framing, but you also pay $39 as a "transfer fee" to assure that you actually do own a share of the company's stock on its shareholder register. The company has a licensing agreement with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Each purchase must equal at least twice the current price of the share of stock. As long as the stock price is well below the $39 transfer fee, that requirement is met. In cases of more expensive stocks, the cost of the framing typically brings the price up to the requirement. But for Google (GOOG), trading above $500, the frame is covered with real gold leaf.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV