Powell Industries Fiscal 4Q Profit Rises
HOUSTON (AP) ¿ Energy equipment company Powell Industries Inc. said Wednesday its fiscal fourth-quarter earnings climbed 18 percent, beating analyst expectations as cheaper raw materials costs bolstered margins.
Quarterly earnings rose to $9.9 million, or 85 cents per share, compared with $8.3 million, or 72 cents per share, during the same period last year.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters estimated a profit of 66 cents per share for the period ended Sept. 30.
Revenue declined 1 percent to $165.3 million from $167.1 million. Analysts forecast revenue of $159.5 million.For the full year, earnings rose to $39.7 million, or $3.43 per share, from $25.9 million, or $2.26 per share. Revenue climbed to $665.9 million from $638.7 million. Powell CEO Patrick McDonald warned that the coming fiscal year will be more challenging. "We enter the year with a much lower backlog, and uncertainties in the economic climate continue to influence project opportunities," McDonald said. The company did not provide 2010 estimates, but said it plans to discuss its outlook at its Dec. 16 conference call.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV