In a National Retail Federation survey this year, 22% of people who said they would abstain from buying gift cards said they would do so because the considered cards "impersonal." Sadly, that's kind of the point. The 77% of people surveyed who will purchase a gift card for someone else this year are looking for something practical, not personal, to give in a sluggish economy.
Gift cards will be the most-popular choice among holiday consumers this year, according to American Express' (AXP) Spending and Saving Tracker. Fifty-eight percent of people surveyed by American Express said they planned to buy them this year. Overall, 19% of consumers will devote most of their holiday budget to gift cards this season.
Not just any card will do. Sanj Raj, chief executive officer of the gift card auction site DFWbid.com, says his site has lost money on gift cards for Nintendo Wiis and Apple (AAPL) iPods. Consumers are sticking to pragmatic offerings from Wal-Mart (WMT) and Target (TGT), among others."We have moms, dads, grandparents and college kids using our site," Raj says. "The economy during the last couple of years has pushed these people to be more financially wary of what they buy."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV