Updated with John Chambers Q&A comments.
Speaking during the company's financial analyst conference, Chambers explained that video will become a top priority as businesses search for new ways to share information.
"Video and collaboration are the two major moves we're going to make this year," he said, just days after the company gained approval for its acquisition of Norwegian videoconferencing specialist Tandberg. "The next generation will be all around video."In a nod to the firm's server strategy, Chambers added that virtualization also will be key, but spent much of his presentation wielding a Flip video camera. Flip maker Pure Digital, which was acquired by Cisco for $590 million earlier this year, was initially perceived as a consumer play. But Chambers explained that the cameras are also targeted at enterprise networks. "It wasn't about the device, it was really about applications and the ability to drive video through the network," he added. "I love video-blogging on a Flip." Chambers invited Cisco executive Jim Grubb onto the stage to illustrate how video can be shared across large enterprises. Grubb, who has earned cult-like status as Chambers' demo sidekick, filmed his boss on a Flip camera, connected it to an IP phone, and sent the clip to another Cisco employee. Grubb and Chambers showed how video is embedded in the Cisco's C-Vision technology, which also features the firm's WebEx collaboration product. Described as a "YouTube"-style offering for enterprises, C-Vision is Cisco's attempt to turn social networking into new sources of revenue.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV